Sunday, July 26, 2009

"I'm going to let my heart defeat my mind..."

"Let your love make me whole..

I don't want to go through the motions 
I don't want to go one more day
Without your all consuming passion inside of me."

Happy Birthday Craig!!

It's been awhile... 
The monsoons are here and the internet has been a little spotty. I've also been a little lazy when it comes to blogging. Sorry, please forgive me. 

I have a week left in India and, truthfully, I do not want to leave. I absolutely love it here! I have good friends here now and it's going to be hard to say goodbye. At the same time... I do miss everyone at home and I am looking forward to being back in the States. Have you ever played the silly question game? You ask questions like, "If you could be any vegetable what would you be?" I remember always being asked the magic power question and I never had a reply. It hasn't been until recently that I have figured out what my answer would be. If I could have any magic power, I would choose teleportation. This revelation first occurred while Diana and I were on the couch watching TV late at night and we didn't want to walk up the stairs to go to bed. Pathetic, I know. However, I would love to have this power even more now so I could return to India anytime I pleased. Even though my ideas of magic powers are a little far-fetched, I really want to come back some day.  

Since I last wrote... 

I have said goodbye to one of my best friends, Beth. She left last week and it was a sad day. I've only known her for 4 weeks but I couldn't stop the tears as she hugged me farewell and drove away. It was really sad this week to wake up and see her empty bed beside me. I miss her a lot. Caitlin, Mahathi, Maura, Luana, and Melody all left with her. 
And then there were five.

I've been working with my women's group, teaching English and learning more and more about the Indian culture. We drive about 20 minutes out into the country and actually teach in one of the woman's homes. I know I am looked upon as the one who is teaching and giving back to a community who would otherwise not have the opportunity, but I don't think these women realize what amazing people they are. I love them so much and I can only hope that one day I can achieve the compassion and sincerity that they have shown me as I work with them. Until then I will do my best...
Last week they dressed us up like Indian brides. I was a little nervous when they started painting my face and combing through my curly hair, but it was a fun experience. On another day they made us a picnic lunch and took us to the Kangra Fort. It was beautiful and amazing to see a piece of a culture that has been around for so long. The United States is just so young. It's hard to believe since it is all I've ever known but it's true. I have so much respect for the importance of tradition and preserving history here. On the schedule this week... they are going to teach us how to cook! I'm excited!! One of the things on the menu is Pakora. It is one of the best things I've had here. It's like french fries and onion rings put together in a bunch of delicious spices. I think of my father every time I have them, because he would love them. 

I am shedding my skin like a snake. Literally. That sunburn I got on the hike was/is a doozie. 

New volunteers arrived. Malcom, Ryan, Stephanie, Sarah, Angela, and Allie. Our original group of 14 is now outnumbered by the newbies. It's really weird and way too quiet. All the newbies are really nice but it's just not the same. I'm biased, but as a group we were way more fun. 

This weekend has been kind of a lazy one. I've done some last minute shopping and quite a bit of reading. I just finished a book called "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. (Thank you Brittany for recommending it!) It was challenging and a good reminder of the fact that it is most important to love and to reflect Christ through that love. I took out a part in the book and substituted "I" for "person/people." (I like to do this from time to time to challenge myself.) Here's what it said... 
"I want to be characterized by committed, settled, passionate love for God, above and before every other thing and every other being. I want to be known as a giver, not a taker. I want to be more concerned with my character than my comfort. I know that true joy does not depend on circumstances or environment; it is a gift that must be chosen and cultivated, a gift that ultimately comes from God."

For today, I think we might head out to some old stone temples. Other than that I'm just trying to enjoy my last few days here. 
I'm so thankful.

Love to all. 

"If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit."
Galations 5:25


 

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that this has been such a good and positive experience! Your blogs have been fun to read! I never thought that India would be a place that I'd want to visit--now I'm not so sure! I'm jealous that you hiked in the Himalayas! That's on my bucket list! Safe travels as you head home in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your last few days! Don't worry, if you want to go back to India-you will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, you posted that at 12:26am. hmm...

    if you go back to india, take me with you and drop me off at everest base camp. i won't be attempting the summit, though...

    ReplyDelete